The Pematangsiantar Animal Park originated from Dr. Coonrad is an animal lover from the Dutch Colonial in the world of Zoology. Until November 27, 1936, the history of THPS began with the inauguration of a Zoological and Botanical Garden on a 4.5 Ha plot of land located in the Pematangsiantar City area by Dr. Coonrad. Dr. Coonrad initiated the establishment of the first Zoological and Botanical Garden in Pematangsiantar City and at the same time served as the first leader of the Zoological and Botanical Lovers Community and the Zoological and Botanical Gardens.
In June 1956 at the Zoological and Botanical Garden site founded by Dr. Coonrad was also founded a Zoological Museum by Prof. Dr. F. J. Nainggolan which was inaugurated by Mrs. Rahmi Hatta, the Deputy President of the Republic of Indonesia at that time Ir. Mohammad Hatta. For some time the name of the Pematangsiantar City Zoological and Botanical Garden was also called the Pematangsiantar Zoo.
Pematangsiantar Zoo is the oldest four zoo in Indonesia which still survives after the Surabaya Zoo, Kinantan Wildlife and Cultural Park in Bukittinggi and Bandung Zoo. Along with the journey of THPS which at that time was still called Pematangsiantar Zoo was under the management of the Regional Government, ironically, as long as under the management of the Regional Government the condition of Pematangsiantar Zoo turned out to be unable to meet community expectations due to various management limitations and difficulties and internal chaos.