The Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum and the Taman Siswa Grand Pendopo Complex are located at Jalan Tamansiswa Number 25, Wirogunan Village, Mergangsan District, Yogyakarta City. The complex based on the results of data collection conducted in November 2016 was built on an area of 8,909,433 m² and consisted of several buildings. Perguruan Taman Siswa was founded by Suwardi Suryaningrat on July 3, 1922. At that time the college was named the National Onderwijs Instituut Taman Siswa which was marked with candrasengkala “Opposing the Ngesthi Mulya Literature” (1852 J). Taman Siswa was born as a reaction to western teaching practices organized by the colonial government in Indonesia. The basis of the implementation of Taman Siswa education is in the “own culture” and “foreign culture” whose elements can still be used for the progress and welfare of the nation. The Taman Siswa College Center is located at Gadjah Mada Street (formerly called Stationweg), Lempuyangan. Based on teaching statistical data in the city of Yogyakarta in 1924, there were recorded 38 students from Taman Siswa and 17 teachers. On February 3, 1928 Suwardi Suryaningrat changed his name to Ki Hajar Dewantara and renounced the title of Raden Mas (RM) to be closer to the people.
In an effort to advance the Taman Siswa school, in 1930 or after the establishment of Taman Siswa, Ki Hajar Dewantara handed over the college to the Taman Siswa Unity Organization body as outlined in the Charter of the Establishment Agreement. With the establishment of many private schools in the country, the Dutch Colonial Government issued the Wild School Ordinance on October 1, 1932. For the persistence of Ki Hajar Dewantara, then in 1933 the unilateral colonial regulations were revoked. Perguruan Taman Siswa is growing so that the college houses in Lempuyangan are considered inadequate as the center of the college. Ki Hajar Dewantara then moved the college center to Wirogunan. After being moved, the school which was originally called Taman Siswa Mataram was later changed to Ibu Pawiyatan Tamansiswa, which means the parent or Center for Taman Siswa College which was led directly by Ki Hajar Dewantara.