The building of the museum was constructed from 1899 to 1901. In March 1902, the building was officially opened under the name of STOVIA, the colonial medicine school for the Javanese and other native people. Students were obliged to live in the dorm until the completion of the 10 years study.
Original layout of the school
In 1920, because of the increasing number of students, studies were conducted in a new building (now the Medicine facility of the University of Indonesia). The building was then used as a MULO school (equivalent to junior high school), AMS (equivalent to senior high school) and school for pharmacist assistants.
During the Japanese occupation, the building was used by the Japanese to contain the Dutch war prisoners.After the independence of Indonesia, the building was used as temporary residences for the KNIL and their families